Friday, May 7, 2010

Amsterdam, and it's raining


So 55 Degree Wine had zero zilch nada nulla niente no Dutch beer. And I went out to an Irish pub tonight and had Guinness. Because it's good. 55 Degree wine has beer from Belgium, go figure, because it's good. And I'm watching the Presentation of the Teams live from Amsterdam, and it's raining and windy there. Last year, in Venice, where the same ceremony happened, it was exquisite and fresh and sunny. Because it was Venice, and that's good, too.

But before I judge, Amsterdam is the City of the Bike. Look at all the bike paths in the overhead shots! Makes me want to pull out my raincoat and rain pants to try them!

So tomorrow, to pair with the time trial through Amsterdam as you toast your Grolsch or Amstel beer, try some Amsterdam pub food, as described to me by my college friend Judd Labarthe, who lived in Holland for a while. The bitterballen look good to me, with a bit of mustard. Some kind of meat in there. (Picture above.)

As we watch the Giro Anteprima, they flash a street scene with a large billboard showing a very unretouched image of the Queen of Holland—there's a queen of Holland, really? And my husband says, "Cleveland." Cadel Evans' eyes are massively blue, and his Italian accent is atrocious!

Viva il Giro! (As I sip my Prosecco.)

A domani.

No comments:

Post a Comment